In case you don’t know, I LOVE WordPress (for weblog). I recently moved Cool Site of the Day over to WordPress and it’s changed everything about the direction of the site. A couple of things you need to know:
- There are many plugins that you can add to make your site better for you and your visitors (these are the most popular)
- There are many excellent FREE themes (templates) to choose from when starting out with WordPress. You may prefer a premium theme (usually costing $100 or less). For premium themes, I recommend three providers: PageLines (very nice stuff), Woo Themes and Thesis Themes (great for SEO–currently used by Cool Site of the Day)….AND we just ordered the Gourmet Theme from Templatic (order 1, get 2 free).
- Sometimes all you want to do is simply create a ‘squeeze’ page to gather names and email addresses of your fans and customers. If that’s you, then order Squeeze Theme (check out their Squeeze Plugin – excellent tool)
- Signup with a hosting service that makes WordPress installation a snap. For most of my sites, I use and highly recommend Bluehost.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Backing up your WordPress site is extremely important…there is no easier way to make a safe clone of your site than with WP Twin. Don’t even think twice about getting this essential backup tool–it also makes it simple to clone your site for when you need to create a similar site but don’t want to go through the hassle of configuring all the settings again (themes, plugins, etc.)
I’ll followup with some video demos to get you started but the links above should put you on the right path to WordPress blogging bliss.